About 3 years ago I wrote about a tool called Shared-Secrets that I had written. It had the purpose of sharing secrets through encrypted links which should only be retrievable once. Back then I made the decision to base the application on the GnuPG encryption but over the last couple of years I had to learn that this was not the best of all choices. Here are some of the problems that I have found in the meantime:
As this last issue is a problem with the GnuPG message format itself its solution required to either change or completely replace the cryptographic basis of Shared-Secrets. After thinking about the possible alternatives I decided to design simple message formats and completely rewrite the cryptographic foundation. This new version has been published a few weeks ago and a running instance is also available at secrets.syseleven.de.
This new implementation should solve the previous problems for good and will in future allow me to implement fundamental improvements when they become necessary as I now have a much deeper insight into the used cryptographic algorithms and the design of the message formats.